There’s something very alluring about sifting through classic quotations either online or browsing the pages of a dictionary.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
This article contains many happy quotations that I have found to be useful at certain times in life and I sincerely hope that you can find some gems amongst these happy quotes for your own use.
Our new site is dedicated to making you feel better about yourself and maybe change your way of looking at the world.
Change is never easy and it needs courage and not a little perseverance to bring success in reaching where you want to be.
Altering habits and mindsets is never easy for most folks but these happy quotes might give you some inspiration in your efforts.
Happy quotes about life can help you on your way.
“Be happy. It’s one way of being wise”
There is no hierarchy in the arrangement of the quotes – just dip in as you fancy. Should you wish to look up further information there is no better place to do so than at Wikipedia where you can check out the authors.
Happy Quotes about Life
1. If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have a paradise in a few years – Bertrand Russell.
2. Most people would rather be certain they’re miserable, than risk being happy – Robert Anthony.
3. Happiness is always a by-product. It is probably a matter of temperament, and for anything I know it may be glandular. But it is not something that can be demanded from life, and if you are not happy you had better stop worrying about it and see what treasures you can pluck from your own brand of unhappiness
– In other words get as much as you can take from happy quotes to reach a happier state.
4. Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad – Norm Pepernick.
5. Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it
– good point but some might say that we can’t live by happy quotes alone.
6. Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want
7. This is my “depressed stance.” When you’re depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you’ll start to feel better. If you’re going to get any joy out of being depressed, you’ve got to stand like this – Charlie Brown.
8. Pleasure is spread through the earth
In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find
9. Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be – Abraham Lincoln.
Only God can make a tree
2. Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile – Franklin P. Jones.
3. To love someone is to wish him life; to hate someone is to desire his death – Chinese Proverb.
4. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go – Oscar Wilde – typical Wilde cynicism but it still counts among the happy quotes listed here.
5. He who wants to do good, knocks at the gate; he who loves finds the gates open
6. Love comes to those who still hope, even though they’ve been disappointed, to those who still love even though they’ve been hurt before – Unknown.
7. Everybody can be great because everybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject & verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace & a soul generated by love – Martin Luther King Jr.
8. I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love
– One of those happy quotes that need thinking about to reach understanding.
9. Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
10. Smile at each other; smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other — it doesn’t matter who it is — and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other – Mother Teresa.
Home is where you feel happy
2. Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.
Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.
Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it
Martin Luther King Jr. – Simple happy quotes are usually the best!
3. Challenges come so we can grow and be prepared for things we are not equipped to handle now. When we face our challenges with faith, prepared to learn, willing to make changes, and if necessary, to let go, we are demanding our power be turned on
4. Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling. ~Margaret Lee Runbeck – to me that suggests we must keep referring to happy quotes as a means of improving our lives.
5. It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui – Hellen Keller.
6. Life is an art we are required to practice without preparation, a score that we play at sight even before we have mastered our instruments
7. If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page – Mark Houlahan.
8. Until you are happy with who you are, you will never be happy with what you have – Zig Ziglar.
9. The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up
– not a bad idea. Fire some happy quotes at people – especially the grumpy ones.
10. I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances – Martha Washington.
11. If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody – Chinese Proverb.
–12. Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow but a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore, to this day
13. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy practice compassion. – Dalai Lama – one of those happy quotes well worth repeating.
14. Remember, happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely upon what you think – Dale Carnegie.
15. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever – Gandhi.
16. Happiness depends upon ourselves
– and happy quotes are needed for us to get there.
17. Mirth is better than fun, and happiness is better than mirth. – William Blake
18. The best vitamin to be a happy person is B1. – Anon – better to use happy quotes more than chemical substances to be happy.
19. Without a humble but reasonable confidence in you own powers, you cannot be successful or happy. – Norman Vincent Peale.
20. Happy is the man who can endure the highest and lowest fortune. He who has endured such vicissitudes with equanimity has deprived misfortune of its power. – Seneca
21. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world.
22. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. – Oscar Wilde
23. To be busy is man’s only happiness. – Mark Twain – to be busy with what – I can’t accept that this these kinds of happy quotes are acceptable.
24. True happiness consists in making others happy
– happy quotes such as these are much more reassuring the Twain’s.
25. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. – Gandhi
A laugh is the shortest distance between two people
27. When a man has lost all happiness, he’s not alive. Call him a breathing corpse – Sophocles
28. We have n o more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it. – George Bernard Shaw
29. Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness; it has no taste. – Charlotte Bronte
30. Make us happy and you make us good.
31. Happiness lies in the fulfillment of the spirit through the body. – Cyril Connolly – and Connolly is not talking about an alcoholic daze in this gem among happy quotes.
32. Happiness always looks small while you hold it in our hands, but let it go and you learn at once how big and precious it is. – Maxim Gorky
33. The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not.
George Bernard Shaw
34. Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook and a good digestion. Jean Jacques Rousseau
35. Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you will cease to be so. – John Stuart Mill – in this happy quote is Mill suggesting that we can’t be aware of being happy – can’t believe that myself.
36. I love myself when I’m laughing. – Zora Neale Hutton
37. Truth in every word and sound which thou utterest, thou wilt be happy. And there is no man who is able to prevent this.
38. Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action. – William James
39. Think of all the beauty that’s still left in and around you and be happy! – Anne Frank – one of those poignant happy quotes that linger in our memories.
40. I am happy and content because I think I am. Alain-Rene Lesage
41. Happiness doesn’t depend on outward things, but in the way we see them. – Leo Tolstoy
42. Happiness is not a matter of events, it depends upon the tides of the mind. – Alice Meynell
43. A happy life consists of tranquility of mind. – Cicero
44. Act if you were already happy and that will tend to make you happy. – Dale Carnegie
45. Happiness is a mystery like religion, and it should never be rationalised.
– this might have been one of Father Brown’s favourite happy quotes.
46. All men have happiness as their object; there are no exceptions. However different the means they employ, they aim at the same end. – Blaise Pascal
47. Remember that happiness is a way of travel not a destination. – Roy M. Goodman
48. Happiness depends as Nature shows, Less on exterior things than most suppose. – William Cowper
49. Happiness itself is a kind of gratitude.
50. The search for happiness is one of the chief sources of unhappiness. – Eric Hoffer
51. The best way for a person to have happy thoughts is to count his blessings and not his cash. – Anon
52. You will live wisely if you are happy in your thoughts. – Horace
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars
54. Man needs, for his happiness, not only the enjoyment of this or that, but hope and enterprise and change. – Bertrand Russell
55. No man can live happily who regards himself alone, who turn everything to his own advantage. Thou must live for another if thou wisest to live for thyself. – Seneca
56. Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier.
– definitely one of the better happy quotes to live by.
57. He that despiseth his neighbout sinneth; but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he. – Book of the Bible
58. There is no happiness in having or getting, but only in giving. – Henry Drummond
59. Happiness seems to require a modicum of external prosperity. – Aristotle
60. Our happiness depends on wisdom all the way.
61. Best trust the happy moments, the days that make us happy make us wise. – John Masefield
62. The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence, but in the mastery, of his passions. – Lord Tennyson
63. To describe happiness is to diminish it. – Stendhal
64. Man is meant for happiness and this happiness is in him, in the satisfaction of the daily needs of his existence. – Tolstoy
65. We must be doing something to be happy. – William Hazlitt
66. If you pursue happiness you’ll never find it.
C. P. Snow
67. True happiness arises, in the first place, from the enjoyment of one’s self, and in the next, from the friendship and conversation of a few select companions. – Joseph Addison
68. The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings. – Robert Louis Stevenson
69. Happiness hates the timid!
– this is one of those happy quotes that seem contradictory at the first reading but I don’t think it is.
70. Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make every day a holiday and celebrate just living! – Amanda Bradley
71. I f we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it. – Immanuel Hermann von Fichte
72. There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.
73. The greatest happiness of the greatest number is the foundation of morals and legislation. – Jeremy Bentham – difficult to place this saying among these happy quotes as it a catchphrase for a particular social philosophy for living life.
74. He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home. – Goethe
A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
76. The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved. – Victor Hugo
77. Human happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected. – George Washington
78. Unquestionably, it is possible to do without happiness, it is done involuntarily by nineteenth-twentieths of mankind. – John Stuart Mill
79. Suspicion of happiness is in our blood. – E.V. Lucas
80. Happy the man who has learned the cause of things and has put under his feet all fear, inexorable fate, and the noisy strife of the hell of greed.
81. He who would be happy should stay at home. – Proverb
82. One must never look for happiness; one meets it on the way. – Isabelle Eberhardt
83. Wisdom is the most important part of happiness. – Sophocles
84. If only we’d stop trying to be happy we’d have a pretty good time.
85. Happiness consists in giving, and in serving others. – Henry Drummond
86. Behold, we count them happy which endure. – Book of the Bible
87. The pursuit of happiness is the greatest feat man has to accomplish. – Robert Henri
88. The happiest person is the person who thinks the most interesting thoughts. – William Lyon Phelps
89. Every minute your mouth is turned down you lose sixty seconds of happiness. – Tom Walsh
90. Men are made for happiness; and anyone who is completely happy has a right to say to himself, “I am doing God’s will on earth.
91. Happiness is good health and a bad memory. – Ingrid Bergman
92. In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy. – Karl Reiland
93. Happiness consists more in small conveniences or pleasures that occur every day, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom. – Benjamin Franklin
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient
94. If an Arab in the desert were suddenly to discover a spring in his tent, and so would always be able to have water in abundance, how fortunate he would consider himself; so too, when a man who is always turned towards the outside, thinking that his happiness lies outside him, finally turns inward and discovers that the source is within him. – Seren Kierkegaard
95. He who would win joy must share it; happiness was born a twin. – Lord Byron
96. Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination. – Immanuel Kant
97. Happiness is the distraction from the human tragedy.
– to me this suggests that we are drugging ourselves against reality with happy quotes about life -I don’t believe that.
98. When I have been unhappy, I have heard an opera and it seemed the shrieking of winds; when I am happy, a sparrow’s chirp is delicious to me. But it is not the chirp that makes me happy, but I that make it sweet. – John Ruskin
99. It is an aspect of all happiness to suppose that we deserve it. – Joseph Joubert
100. The sanguine expectation of happiness which is happiness itself. – Jane Austen
101. Man is the artificer of his own happiness.
Henry David Thoreau
102. The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for. – Joseph Addison
103. What can be added to the happiness of man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience? – Adam Smith
104. The right to happiness is fundamental. – Anna Pavlova – the right might be fundamental but you need the means such as happy quotes to reach that happiness.
105. Happiness is the soundtrack of my life. – Greg Livingston
106. You will live wisely if you are happy in your lot.
107. If you want to be happy, be. – Tolstoy
108. The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. – Mark Twain
109. Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible. – St. Augustine
110. Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight on you. – Nathaniel Hawthorne
I hope you have enjoyed these quotations which are among my favorite happiness quotations from life.